Wednesday, September 21, 2016

There Is No "I" In Theatre


After taking the Signature Strengths Test, I have discovered that my greatest strength is teamwork. I fully believe that it perfectly describes me. No matter what I am assigned, I always follow through. Even if it is as difficult as building a set.

Notre Dame de Namur’s Theatre Department will be having a production of The Amateurs, by Tom Griffin. With only a month before opening night, everyone must cooperate for the play to be a success.

I am an assistant stage manager. My role is to perform multiple jobs and accomplish any tasks that I am given, whether it is cleaning up at the end of rehearsals or subbing in for a missing actor. This role also requires me to help build the set. This upcoming weekend, a small group of people are meeting to construct it. Having never built a set before, let alone use an assortment of construction tools, I am nervous and worried that people will think I am not useful. But after evaluating my strength, I recognized that I work well as a team member. So during construction time, I will constantly offer to work on any set pieces. If I do not know how to complete the piece, I will ask another member to give me instructions. Also, if someone else is struggling, I will lend them my services as best as I can.

After this weekend, I hope I can analyze my actions and thoughts in a situation where there is a problem and multiple people. Do I wait for a task to be given to me or do I take the initiative? I would also hope to ask others if they think I am as good as a team member as I believe I am. With this information, I can discover if there are any ways I can improve my strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment