Monday, October 17, 2016

A Child's Perspective

Though I had a great time volunteering at Treasure Island, many of my classmates did not. I was one of the very few lucky ones who got to go sailing. From my classmates’ point of view, I can understand how non-engaging it was. However from the children’s perspective, it was a memorable day that can be valued in the future.

Of course sailing was the cherry on top that made the children’s day, but there was an underlying meaning to the day. From their eyes, they saw us as an illusion of their possible future selves. When I was sailing with a group of girls, I discovered some of the hardships they were dealing with. They asked if I was really in college. After I responded, they were amazed as though college seemed impossible to get into. Next, they were shocked about my age because they claimed I seemed too mature. One girl did not express her feelings by her outer appearance; however, her self-doubt showed when she commented on how she needed to “grow up” and not be “silly”. I explained to her that even I was a “goofball” at times and that all it takes is finding a balance between the two. This seemed to reassure her.

Though the day may have not been eventful to us, it had a profound value for the children which was all that mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment